Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Joy

I have always had mixed feeling about winter. First off, I dont like being cold. When it is a cold outside I would much rather stay in my warm bed. But I feel that my view of winter has changed. When I was a kid, I'm pretty sure I liked winter. I could build snowmen, going cross country skiing with my family and play in the snow with my brother. Winter meant bundling up in as many layers of clothing as possible, but forgetting to us the bathroom before doing so, wet mittens and socks near the fireplace and hot chocolate. When I was in highschool it ment being late for school because our bus got stuck, learning to drive in the snow, and my hair freezing after swim practice. At college winter ment trying not to slide down the hill to the science building on my butt.

Coming to Policka I heard that the weather was very simular to PA and that the winter would be cold and snowy. It snowed early on in November, but it didn't stay long, which made me sad. I figured that if it was going to be freezing cold there might as well be snow too. We didn't end up getting the snow that I had heard about until after the new year. When Jeremy and I came back from our trip to Budapest we where greeted by a snow covered Policka. The pond infront of the church had froze and kids where iceskating. All of this had happened in the 4 days we were gone. Since then the snow has stayed and I must admit I enjoy it. Not every aspect ofcourse, I still dont like the cold and it takes longer to get everywhere, but in general I really like winter here. Policka is beautiful under a few inches of snow. Everyday Jeremy and I walk to church through the park. Normally there are tons of people around, talking, smoking, hanging out, but now there is hardly anyone and all you see are trees and benches covered in snow. It's like a fairly tale land. I think that my winter joy comes from a number of things First, we have to walk everywhere, which means that I see how beautiful winter is. Secondly, Jeremy and I have gone iceskating on ponds and sledding with our new friends, which is really fun.


2 comments:

deb gibbs said...

It is beautiful with the snow coating everything. The other day it was very cold here and there was a heavy frost on all the trees as well as the tons of snow we have, and i couldn't get over how beautiful it was as i drove to school. i can do without the cold, but snow certainly helps cover up the gray of winter.
keep having fun with it !
love, mom

Natalie said...

The park looks beautiful! I agree with the feelings about winter. I had snow for most of November and then I was gone so much (including seeing you guys!) where there was just cold. Snow really does add a quiet beauty to things. I hope that you were able to rest over the holiday.

Looking forward to your next blog!