Monday, August 17, 2009

Update

I, Jeremy Ault, have been guilty of laziness and being aloof. I am sorry family, friends, readers....

The past month since the English Camp has been wonderful and nerve-racking. My mind has been consumed with thoughts about the future, and as I plan for the next years and those thereafter, I am always reminded of the beauty and the necessity of staying focused on the NOW. It's just really hard to do both at the SAME TIME.

Today, I searched for jobs and graduate schools. I might have found some interesting propositions for work in New England and I have given serious thought to pursuing a career in International development; also, I am wading my options with graduate school, as I careen back and forth almost daily as to what my focus should be: language, history, geography, environmental sustainability, geology, international relations. Ughh...

Something of note that might be interesting for some of you back home, is that I have engaged myself in a small intellectual challenge: I will be researching and writing a paper that deals with pastors in the Czech protestant church and their lives under Communist oppression. I have found the early going very difficult, as most of the resources are only in Czech language, which is incredibly challenging when I am trying to get an overall picture of the situation, yet it's great practice. In fact, today I just thought about taking the paper in a whole new direction: the lessons learned about ministry when it was taken from them ( the communist party would often revoke the state licences to preach from pastors who were openly criticizing the regime; forcing many of them into jobs of hard labor). Hmm...we shall see...

Jamie and I just got back from wonderful three days spent in the Slovakian 'Mala Fatra', which is a small mountain chain running east of the Tatras. It was so beautiful and quiet: we hiked, read, worked with our hands, cooked and didn't take showers for a few days. How wonderful!?

At the end of this week, we will be heading to the Dalmatian Coast (Croatia) for a week of sunbathing and snorkeling (maybe). Two of our friends from Camp Willson will be spending the 8 days with us, so needless to say, I am STOKED.

That is if for now.

1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

jeremy..have a good trip..take some dried fruit with you!

hugs, deb