Monday, January 4, 2010

Reflections from time spent with family: 1





It was really difficult for us to have time, or a computer, to post updates about the trip while it was actually happening. I know that for some of you, this might have been a little bit frustrating, and I'm sorry for that. In recapping the time spent with families, I am literally overwhelmed with what to write. I could give you a complete rundown from a day-to-day basis, or I could write about some of the highlights. I have yet to decide what exactly I will do, so in the mean time, I would like you to take a look at the trip reflections that both my mother (Pat) and my brother (Jared) wrote:

"It’s funny to look back on the past two weeks and think about my trip to the Czech Republic. Jamie and Jeremy continually ask me to pick out my favorite part of the trip. The truth is this can be a little bit difficult to do when you thoroughly enjoyed every part of it. From finally getting to see my brother and sister-in-law, to experiencing a completely different culture (something I love to do), I was constantly in a state of happiness.

I can honestly say that the trip has been the most worthwhile and fulfilling experience I have had, in many different ways: from the beginnings in Policka, where we met Jeremy and Jamie's friends; to splitting a kielbasa and watching a hockey game; to getting a free shot of Jameson's whiskey from his favorite waiter; and to playing trivial pursuit after a cold day of walking. It was fantastic.

The second part of the trip took us to hostels in Cesky Krumlov (A Picturesque, fairy-tale town) to beautiful, snow-covered Prague. This has been an incredible experience; I just hope that all of my wonderful memories remain for a life time.

I will miss my brother and Jamie, but I am looking forward to having other memories with them when they return back to the U.S."

-Jared

"Walk, walk, walk and then walk some more… In the US we drive cars, here they walk, ride trams, subways and trains. Thanks to people from hundreds o years ago, nothing is close and it all seems to on top of a mountain! Prague Castle and Cesky Krumlov—and the best of all, Karlstejn—are a 2 mile walk up a sheer hill side! But, they are all worth every step, and more.

Policka is beautiful and we absolutely loved the great friends Jeremy and Jamie have there. Vlasta and Mil let us stay in their home and showed us their photo history of their families. They were great. Jiri and Renata opened their home to us, and even though the men pretended to be exercising, there was a lot of beer and wine that night to eradicate any positive effects the fake exercise may have generated. Before we headed to Cesky Krumlov, we spent an evening with Vlada and Lydia, and I was fascinated by their stories of life under Communism. Jan and Anna and their family made us welcome in their home after church where we met more of the good friends they have here. Also, Jan’s drive over snow-covered roads to the outskirts and surroundings villages was wonderful.

After our time in Policka, we traveled to Cesky Krumlov and the ‘Krumlov House’-- my first experience in a hostel. Disney could not create a town as beautiful as this place—it is truly magical. Then, we were off to Prague and Sir Toby’s hostel. We stayed in a private room for 5, so my snoring didn’t bother any other strangers!

We went to many places that I feel I can’t describe them all here, but I loved each one.

And, finally, best of all, getting to spend time with Jeremy and Jamie after such a long time away is irreplaceable.

Our trip is over now and we leave tomorrow. We are sad to leave, but have had the time of our lives and will never forget our experiences and our wonderful trip to the Czech Republic."

- Pat

No comments: