Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Youth Group Olympics

In honor of the Vancouver 2010 winter Olympics Jeremy and I planned our own Olympic games for the youth retreat this past weekend, and man did we have fun. Five "countries" participated in six events (speed skate: short and long track, curling, ski jumping, pairs figure skating and ice hockey)and points were awarded accouring to place after each event. Each team put forth a strong effort in hopes of winning the gold.



It is amazing to think back on all the youth retreats we have been apart of since coming to Policka. I can still remember the first one and not really knowing what we would be able to do since our czech was so limited at the time. However, each retreat we were able to communicate more and more, and for me this retreat was the best. My partner was Filip, who doesn't speak or understand English, but I wasn't nervous, even though my Czech is less than par. We were able to come up with an idea for our country,a rutine for pairs figure skating, and talk about the other events only because Filip was more than willing to understand my broken Czech, and patient enough to repeat himself.

This might have been the last youth retreat for Jeremy and I and also Pastor Jan, but it's not the end of what we have planned for the youth group. Jeremy has three camping trips in the works and we wil continue to meet with the youth every Friday until the end of the school year.

2 comments:

Grandma D said...

Looks like it was a really fun filled event. I admire your creativity. Love, Grandma D

deb gibbs said...

it looks like it was GREAT FUN!!!
i would have love to see it. congradulations to you and filip on the sliver medal. Please tel him and his brother hi from me.

love, mom