Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bus-riding reflection

Recently I've become acutely aware of a rather in-congruent habit of people who ride the public transportation in the City of Erie: they talk to strangers without inhibition.

Often times my days are spent sitting behind a desk tapping away on a keyboard into oblivion with the subconscious realization that my grant-writing skills aren't worth a damn: due to the fact that my comprehension of mathematical concepts encompasses only a cursory knowledge of all elementary arithmetic, my grants are shot down before the review committee due to a very shoddily-written budget report that--by some unaccountable reason--makes money disappear by the hundreds. I don't really interact with anyone besides my fellow coworkers--a whole three of them--whose conversations, although much-appreciated, end in some futile bantering and complaining, and my young, strong body full of pulsating blood not yet slowed by the encroachment of cholesterol is left to rot like a lump of meat with my lumbar pushed up against the back of my desk chair. Is this how I'm spending my youth? Lonely, sedentary, and with no real excitement to break the monotony of my day?

I jump on bus numbers 22 and 25 that traverse Erie city from West to East, as they follow pot-holed filled roads out towards the po-dunk town of Wesleyville, full of its 60's-era shopping malls and fast food joints. The most enjoyable of my fellow passengers are the modern-day stoic philosophers who have traded in their marble steps outside the courthouse, for a dirty, plastic chair in the midst of an Erie bus. I lend them my ear when I hear them speak, and I am enthralled at their brashness and their flawless ability to spark up a conversation with nearly just about everyone, even (more often than not) with themselves. Speaking in tones that fluctuate in crescendo and power like that of Baptist preachers, my philosopher friends of the bus, pose questions for all of us to ponder--often times looking us directly in the face in hopes of an answer. Even when an answer is not forthcoming, they break into a monologue that is at points boundless in scope and accurate in observation; however, usually ending in an abrupt distraction brought on by the sight of a nubile woman, or a beer-lathered belch.

Yet, I'm never uncomfortable with those more verbose fellow riders, as I find their ways more authentic than the public domain of today's social arena, which is often dominated by people continually texting and listening to ipods. Insular. Uninterested. Closed-off.

Upon exiting the bus, I make my way to Erie's local institution of scholarship and higher learning, Gannon University, where I proceed to make my way into their gym facility. And, as I stretch to engage in the upcoming run, I notice that out of all the 15 runners on the track, it is only I who does not carry within my palm an ipod. It is only I who can hear the repetitive click of my bracelets smacking together with the swinging of my arms, or the deep breathing originating in the straining of my lungs. And, with no one to talk to, with no one seemingly interested in communicating, I am lost in a world of my own thoughts--running, in circles, for the next thirty minutes. There is no one there to ask questions. No young scholars brash enough to engage those around them. That kind of experience is only found through daily meetings with the toothless alcoholic carrying a plastic bag and a life-long list of grievances and stories.

2 comments:

Seth McBurney said...

Erie is a very odd city. Nowhere that I've lived have I found such a strange array of homeless, jobless, senseless, passionless, compassionless, and unmotivated people. Yes, it extends from the richest to the most downtrodden.

At my job I interact mostly with the people I work with. They are all nice enough and have something to offer, but I am often left at the end of the day feeling completely unchallenged. Most of the customers I have to deal with leave me frustrated in various ways. Some of the wealthiest people in Erie Co. come into the shop, and I'm normally shocked by some of the obscene gobs of money spent. I also see a lot of people that are not so well off and simply need the cheapest bike to get them back and forth from work. I usually end my day by driving home and reliving some of the inconsequential events of the past few hours in my head wondering where I went wrong or something I could have said.

I find myself wanting to be alone during this time of the year. I don't really like going into public to listen to people complain about the weather, how sick they've been all week, and other winter woes. It just gets me down. I enjoy this time of the year. I love snow, I love the cold, I love seeing my breath, I love always having wet socks, and I love having to wear lots of layers.

I've very recently started running. I like to wake up early and trail run at dawn. I too listen to nothing. I like to hear my shoes crunching in the snow and counting steps to keep my breathing even and rhythmic. I find the days that I run usually go by faster, I am more cheery, and can focus better on the tasks I perform.

This time of the year normally drives much of the citizenry crazy as well. Everyone is driven inside, forced to binge on sitcoms, and stuck living indoors and internalized. Once the sun returns to Erie things will change. Peoples moods will brighten and the negativity that seems to fester will at the very least hide deeper within.

There's a lot of things to do this time of the year than just sit indoors. The more you do outside the more you'll come to appreciate this place.

You can rent cross country skis at Asbury Woods for $5 an hour. I'd totally be into going with you some weekend.

PHeller said...

I found your blog!