Friday, November 4, 2011

Another week, another market basket


Another week another market basket! This week we got (drum roll please) carrots, broccoli, apples, pears, bananas, potatoes, hot peppers, oranges, a lemon, an acron squash and mustard greens!

Wait...mustard greens?! What the crap do you do with them? Actually, that was my second question...the first being, what the heck is this? So can you can see I was told the greens we got were mustard greens and that you can steam or saute them.


So I looked online for a recipe and this is what I found. I kinda liked them, but Jeremy didn't really care for them. They were too strong tasting (like mustard!). But hey, I learned how to cook something new!






Mustard Greens Recipe

1/2 cup thinly sliced onions (I used leak)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic powder)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound mustard greens, washed and torn into large pieces
2 to 3 Tbsp chicken broth or vegetable broth (didn't have any...)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil (didn't have this...so I threw on some red wine vinegar)

1 In a large sauté pan, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until the onions begin to brown and caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more, until fragrant.

2 Add the mustard greens and broth and cook until the mustard greens are just barely wilted. Toss with sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Serves 4.

No comments: