Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Potatoes in a bucket

So back in February I was rooting through our pantry for some potatoes only to find that there was only one very lonely forgotten stud that had decided it was time to make something of it's life. I have seen on many occasions potatoes sprouting in our pantry. Generally I cut the growth off and eat the rest. This time was different. I wanted to know how long it would grow for out of soil. So I let Jeremy know that the potato was my experiment and put it next to the sink.

Not much happened with my potato for about a month. Then out of the blue these itty-bitty leaves formed and things really took off.  There where two main clumps of growth, so it was at this point that I cut them a part and stuck them in soil. Small pots at first, and then finally into 5gal buckets when I loved them outside.

Today makes 4.5 months since I found my sprouting red potato, and I got to celebrate by harvesting a few new ones.

2 comments:

deb gibbs said...

good for you ...and YUMMY!!!

Grandma D said...

I have one of those plastic bags for planting potatoes but i forgot to plant them. Is it too late to have a crop this fall?
I bought seed potatoes but think the ones I have with eyes work better. Love, Grandma D