Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Last Day

My last day in Owerri was an interesting one. I began to feel pangs of longing and nostalgia already. Just yesterday I was prepared to write off my experience, as I had fallen into a negative habit of complaining/worrying about the Ebola break out and about the recent thefts to my property. But today was a different experience. 

Just tonight I went with Uche to purchase my last two beers from the store down the street. I’ve been going there regularly. On the walk back, I took notice of the sandy road, the pot holes, the ephemeral
black smoke of trash burning in the village next to Owerri. I gave my last greetings to the bricklayers and laborers as they worked tirelessly into the evening, building the driveway of our neighbors opulent home. I gave one last handshake and emphatic “Ndweo” greeting to Emeka, and I reclined on the porch, listening to the chirp of large African crickets, letting the mosquitoes get one last suck. I said good-bye to Chinoco and Chinimara (our two drivers), as they picked up their new jobs laying and making bricks. It was sad to see them in a different setting. I finally began to realize not only the finality of me leaving, but the short duration of my stay.


But it’s now time to fly home. I’m sure I’m a different person than when I arrived here almost 7 weeks ago.  

We will now celebrate my impending departure with a final Nigerian meal of Jolof rice, pepper beef, fried yams, and two Star beers, along with some wine. 

No comments: