Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

wow, our faces are HUGE!




The second installment of 'Filmovy vecer'--film night--went on without a hitch. After the resounding success of my first movie night, I knew that I had to pick a film that was a quality match in all categories, from cinematography, to acting, to story line. I feel that I did an ample job in meeting my criteria, when I chose to show What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, starring Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio. The dialogue of this movie is very spare and I knew that it would be manageable for the Czech audience to understand just by listening. In complete contrast to the first, this film is a slow moving, beautifully written story about the meaning of love and human altruism. It takes place in Iowa and the characters are a canvas of mid-western personalities; it is humble, unassuming, kind and not showy. In a strange way, it is much like the Czech people themselves, but that is for another time.

I really had no idea what size of a crowd I would receive; I was hoping for 20, like the first time, but knew that it would be much less. I was really worried that no one would come at all. Consequently, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 10 people sitting in their chairs waiting for the show to start: it was half as much as the first time, but a respectable number nonetheless. The movie began at 7:15 and ended at 9:10, which made me nervous for the last 20 minutes, as I had promised the crowd that we would be out of the room by 9. Every time I heard an exhalation of air or a rustle in the seat behind me, I took it as displeasure and frustration; it was not a fun feeling. When the movie finally ended, I turned on the lights and apologized immediately for the tardiness of my program. But, when I looked at the crowd, I noticed that three people were crying and none of them seemed to mind that it was ten minutes past their expected departure. I gave a very brief closing remark and then told them good night, and as they left, many described the film as "beautiful" and "touching." Needless to say, I was happy with their reaction: 2 movies; 2 positive reviews!

Many of the adults at the movie were not members of the church. I can't explain how important it is that they are coming to this building and staying late into the night. This is our mission here: to show the community that Christians and the Church are places of art, of music, of relevant conversation, of care and of camaraderie.

This week I am having mini Christmas parties with the adult classes. I asked them to bring in some sweets that they bake during the holiday season, and many of them did. I ate so many sweet cookies that I did feel sick afterwards; but, it was worth it. I baked some peanut butter cookies and gave them to the class; they were very new for the Czech adults. Some didn't like the taste all that much, but the salty/sweet combination was a big hit with others. I was pleased.

If you are struggling to figure out what to get Jamie and I for Christmas, then let me help you: A monetary donation to this ministry would be great for us! But, if you want to give something more personal, a good letter of encouragement will go a long way! Check out the addresses and information on how to send donations and letters on the right side of this blog.

1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

yes,jeremy, they are!! but it's a good picture of you and jamie.
jamie has said that this is one of your favorite movies, so i'm glad you got to share it. keep up the good work.
love, deb