Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A challenge.

This past weekend I had a wonderful conversation with friends from back home. Besides the fact that the phone call reiterated for me the strength of some old friendships, it also was a wake up call to reflection.

I must admit that living here makes it very difficult for me to fully digest what exactly is happening to me emotionally, spiritually and culturally. Often times I feel lonely in regards to who I can really share my feelings/frustrations with. If I am lacking a conversation partner (Jamie doesn't count, because we are both here in the Czech Republic) then what am I garnering from living here? The journal is a lonely companion and the blog can only do so much, as both of these mediums don't talk back to me. They don't tell me when I'm being short-sighted or when I am being cynical. They just take, take, and take. No, I need someone who is completely separated from my life, here, but who is still rooted in the culture from whence I came. I can see through them and their opinions how I have grown, matured and progressed in my thinking since being here. And, this is what the conversation was best for. To Dave, Dave and Tyler, I thank you!

Maybe that sounded a little selfish?!

One thing that has smacked me across the face with vindictive resolution has been the smallness of America's "culture wars" and even American Christian culture itself. It is so ridiculous to me that the idea of Christian faith is justified or predicated, often times, on political or "hot-button" issues: things like, whether you support "God" in the Pledge of allegiance, the Commandments in the court room, the increasingly ridiculous argument about whether the United States is a Christian nation, the use of the POLITICAL word "liberal" to describe certain theologies that you don't agree with, whether the music you listen to has swear words in it or not, whether you consume alcohol, where you stand in support of the nation of Israel, your belief about patriotism, and the list goes on and on.

The fact that some of you might be reading this right now and getting upset is exactly what I am talking about. I am not writing from a liberal or conservative point of view. I am writing from a point of view of a Christian who is finally beginning to grasp the international power of our faith. Not the faith that has been co-opted by dehumanizing, polarizing conversation. So, please separate the preconceived notions about what American "culture" you would put me in. I am not living in the United States right now; therefore, my eyes have been adjusted, even if it is for only 2 years. I am not liberal, nor am I conservative.

American Christians, we have sold ourselves short in so many ways. Why do we continue to define ourselves by fleeting, laughable "things?"

Two weeks ago, Jan was speaking with a woman from California. She began asking him about his theology and whether he would be able to communicate with people who have different political, theological and cultural opinions. Jan answered her by saying that in the Czech Republic, there is no space for the arguments, because a Christian is a Christian. Here, there are so few of them, that if they spent all of their time arguing about their differences, the community would be fractured and the already nominal Christians would become completely fringe. He proceeded to tell her that if he was preaching and he knew that other denominations where in the service, he would AVOID bringing up theological perspectives that are controversial, as it is completely inappropriate; it is a time for worship and the core of the believers is that Jesus is Lord.

Now, he is not saying that arguments and debate should be done away with. To the contrary, he is saying that you need to have the debate in the appropriate context.

To wrap up his point, he explained to her that Christians in the Czech Republic lived under 40 years of oppression. Aside from the already powerful social stigma that being a Christian meant you were strange and just plain dumb, many were officially not able to meet, they were bared from Universities, their salaries were controlled by the state, they were put in jail and they were forced to do hard labor. Upon saying this, the women retorted that she herself was going through "oppression" as well. Explaining that with the election of Obama and the "liberals," she and other "conservative" Christians were being attacked by a secular American that was attempting to uproot the God-fearing foundations of the nation. At this point, Jan was struck speechless.

The statement was a complete insult to the TRUE oppression that Jan went through. So, why would she say it?

She said it, because she was blinded. It isn't her fault. I am not blaming her. I am sure that she is a wonderful person with passions and love for her children and her Church, but she is also a woman who can't view Christianity creatively. I remember reading a book in College, where the author used the alliteration of "Empire" to describe the forces of the world that redirect Christian community from a focus on Christ, to a focus on a Gospel co-opted by a worldly standards. I don't really want to get into a huge debate here, because it is not the place, but I would say that there is some truth to this.

In America, Christianity is powerful for many reasons. One being the genuine faith of the people, which is something that needs to be commended; however, the other half is an ignorance in being able to bifurcate our history our politics and our culture, from that of the Bible itself. The woman was unable to understand Jan's point of view, because she has been blinded by the "Empire" of America.

Maybe she was feeling oppressed. However, maybe it is a self-constructed feeling of oppression that comes about when a group, which has generally held the power to dictate what is the acceptable lifestyle of a nation, loses its foundation to rule; I do believe this is the case with some "conservative" Christians. However, I don't believe that this is true injustice. I mean, there is no one coming to her house telling her she can't meet in the church. There is no one coming to her home and taking her job away. There is no one blocking her from entering the best universities. There is no one calling her stupid and laughing at her, because of her faith. There is no one taking her father to jail, because he is a "Christian dissident." For the most part, this woman is not being physically oppressed at all. What I think is happening, is that she is being forced to live as a Christian, without the assurance that the "American" nation will uphold her idea of what the true, Christian lifestyle is like.

Since when did a nation's political, economic and cultural policy ever define the life of believers?

In the end, maybe it is a good thing, because it will make her more resilient when REAL attacks on her faith are at hand, because I do not believe that the election of a more "liberal" government is a true attack (even though it might seem so to her). Also, maybe this time will force the woman to reorient herself into connecting with other Christians from around the world. Maybe she can see how they live, how they struggle and what ideals they uphold as most important. I guarantee you that no international Christians will talk about the pledge of allegiance or whether American was founded "under God" or not; instead, they might talk about the acceptance of all Christians into God's promised Kingdom (even Palestinian and Iraqi Christians). Maybe it will challenge her faith, so she can attain a deeper understanding of the Bible and God's word.

I'm not sure that I have made any sense at all. And, to tell you the truth, I don't know if that was my point. I am using this blog as an avenue to get some of my thoughts and feelings out. I don't want this to be exhaustive. I am writing as I am thinking. This blog is supposed to capture my thoughts and challenges of living here. These types of posts, where I am battling myself and my own culture are part of the journey. They might not have any pictures, they don't have an exciting adventure or story and they might not be understood; but, they are just as important for me. And, if you hope to understand my experience here, they are probably the MOST important for you.

Yesterday, I was fishing through an English text book that all the elementary students’ use. Throughout the book, there are these little side boxes that are called "strange but true" that tell the kids interesting facts about English and American culture. I was shocked when I saw one that said exactly this, “In the United States, school children put their right hand over their heart and say a pledge to their flag and nation. Strange? Yes. But, true."

So, in a small way, this sums up what has been happening to me: what I have accepted as normal, as a truth that is as steady as the sun rises and the rain falling, has been cut from my knees. The pledge. The pledge!? I used to think that the kids who didn't stand up for the pledge where a bit strange. Now, I see that WE, the ones who stand up, are strange to the whole world.

In parallel fashion, I am beginning to realize that distinct forms of American Christianity, ones attached to patriotism, the military, a "conservative" political agenda, dispensationalist and the rapture are believed to be very distorted/strange to Christians here. Now, does this mean that everything they do is more Biblical? No, that is not what I am saying. However, they are forcing me to dig deeper and to find what a Christian life is: Is it American? Is it Czech? Is it African? Is it Asian? Or, maybe it is none of these?

My hope is that someday I can get passed the American debates and arguments that seem to define Christianity and faith for many people back home. Dr. Francie Robb (a wonderful Historian /friend) recently returned from Uganda and told me, "that the most shocking thing about traveling was realizing the International potential of Christianity." I really can't say it better than that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Jeremy. I would like to throw my hat into the ring with a quote from Cornel West, which I have stolen from an exchange with author David Dark.

"To be part of a prophetic tradition is not to be a prophet or elitist. Rather, it is humbly to direct your strongest criticisms at yourself and then self-critically speak your mind to others with painful candor and genuine compassion." - Cornel West

It's the latter half of that which is immensely difficult, and I've got to admit that I have pretty much no success in really putting that into action.

But, whether or not the second part comes easy, the first part no doubt rings true. I think it dovetails nicely with one of the most helpful things I've learned from Kierkegaard and his stages of existence. The aesthetic stage is characterized by the constant presence of immediacy - it's kind of like listening to Girl Talk and nothing else. Insatiable, immediate gratification. Only through self-critically challenging our own nominalism can we move on to consider how to live.

I really believe that this step is fundamental to living a life in which we don't just let things fly by, moving from one immediate pleasure to the next. I know this is true for my own experience; only after self-critically thinking about my own perceptions was I able to really engage with someone/something "Other" (to borrow a term from Emmanuel Levinas).

I won't name drop any more philosophers in fear of being too high-falootin'. I hope I'm being clear about this pervasive problem. I think this holds true as part of what it means to be human, but I think it is a particular problem in the Christian-American subculture of America. I think it's likely tied in with the privatization of religion since the Enlightenment, but I won't go there now.

Natalie said...

is there a reason my updater says you blogged about that 80's party but the link is dead. It says the post doesn't exist! Let me know.