Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fluency!?

Learning a completely different language can be really funny. Aside from the horrendous pronunciation, confusion that comes when one is in public, the laughter of insensitive people, the mix-up of sentence structure, the feeling of hopelessness and frustration, and the realization that you will NEVER speak this language like a born and bred native, there are moments where I thoroughly am pleased with myself. Not with how much I know of Czech, but by how well I conceal my confusion.

I am convinced that my students only understand about 70 percent of what I actually say in class. The other 30 percent gets lost in the blank stares and icy complexions that arise when they realize, "Crap, he thinks I know what he is talking about. I don't. Uh oh, how do I tell him I don't know? Maybe I should pretend. That's right, I'll pretend. Oh, I hope nothing important is discussed. What if he asks me a question!?"
At this point in my journey here, I am much better acquainted with my students on an emotional level, because I FEEL and UNDERSTAND their pain.
Many times when I enter into a Czech conversation with someone who is willing to engage me, I bluff. Sometimes I feel as if waves of words keep washing over my head and I am just kicking to stay afloat: "maybe there will be a break, just a few words I know." Other times, I catch the general idea, lose the train of thought, then pick it back up at the end of the sentence: at this point it is always good for me to make a comment or ask a question to assure the person that I do understand, a little....

During a conversation, there is always a period of conflict where you can either chose two directions: one, you say you don't understand; two, you let them talk in the hopes that at some magical moment, you pick up what they're puttin' down. Often times, I chose the second option. For one, I like the adventure; for two, I really do feel guilty telling the person they make no sense to me, especially if I can see they are passionately into the conversation; I feel so fake when I engage in this charade of understanding. So, I asked Jan, "is it common to ACT like you understand when learning a new language?" He answered, "of course, we all do that, and we all go through the dread of being found out!"

When I speak Czech, I have grown to expect certain reactions from the Czech person who is hearing my words. They are as follows:

1. They instantly start speaking in German or French: This is quite interesting for me, because it really makes me feel bad. Number one, I don't understand German of French, which leads to the really embarrassing concession, “I only speak English and a little bit of Czech, but you obviously don't understand my Czech, so I can't say I speak a little bit, huh?"
I know why people revert to German and French: they know that these two languages are more international than Czech, so they assume that I understand those as well.
Also, many Czechs, who have never studied English, at least know that it is a "Germanic" language, which some how gives them reason to assume that I actually understand German. It is usually a surprise to some old-timer Czechs when I am totally lost. I think part of the problem comes about because Czech's closest linguistically related language is Slovak, and both of these are multi-intellgible: they can understand each other. Sadly, English and German are not so.

2. Looked confused, squint, then speak really QUICKLY: I can't really blame Czech people for this reaction either. Unlike English speakers, Czechs are not used to their language being butchered. I mean, if a Czech man comes into my class and says this, " Want. class. I", I just help him out by filling in the blanks and moving the words around in my mind. However, when speaking Czech, I have to be aware of my accent and the fact that I WILL mess up the structure of the sentence, because Czechs will be completely lost; they can't think in their language unless it is PERFECTLY spoken.
This leads to some really frustratingly comical incidents where I repeat the words or sentences about five times and get the same blank look. I want to say, "OK, I know the words are in the wrong order. I know I have an accent. But, HELP ME!!!"
Upon hearing "Czenglish," the Czech person will then proceed to speak at a speed that is the equivalent to 13-year girls in a mall. I ask them to slow down. This does not work. Asking them to slow down, some how (maybe it is my accent) means "please, speak really loudly and quickly, so I can be thoroughly embarrassed." It's amazing; it's like magic.

3. Proclaim that most beautiful, holistic Czech was just uttered: there are times in life where I can appreciate a lie. This is one of them. Usually the conversation goes something like this:

- Czech man: " qofiejaqpwoifjaposifjapsdoifjapsdoifapodij"
-me: “I’m sorry, could you slow down? I speak English."
- Czech man: " ARE YOU ENGLISH?"
- Me: "no, I am an American."
- Czech man: "You understand Czech?"
- Me: "I understand a little bit. It is hard."
-Czech man: “you speak the most beautiful Czech I have ever heard."

(Remember, this whole conversation has been translated into English......)

Now, I know that he is lying to me. Yet, it makes me feel good. However, they often times will leave very quickly upon announcing that I speak beautiful Czech and never come back, hmmm......

These are the three major reactions that I receive. Now, these are not static reactions; in fact, I might experience all three types in just ONE person!





3 comments:

Natalie said...

I needed that little bit of laughter! So funny. Very similar to my time in Russia last semester... also with people I keep meeting in the US who speak Russian. "Oh you lived in Russia? You're fluent then..." Proceed to use vocabulary I don't know. I suppose I need to say I speak survival Russian not just a little bit - except I don't know the word survival in Russian. Sigh. Love you both.

Grandma D said...

Jeremy, Don't beat yourself up. I think you are doing a great job but you're trying to be perfect.
They are probably having the same problem trying to learn English.
Maybe you can use sign language to get them to slow down. Love, Grandma D

deb gibbs said...

jeremy, thanks for the chuckle! i really don't envy you and jamie with the language battle..i would be soooo frustrated. hang in there!! love, deb