Wednesday, July 29, 2009

English Camp 2009: Wednesday!

English Camp 2009: Wednesday


Day 3 of camp! Woot Woot!

Today the students "travelled" through Asia! Which means that in crafts that make batik banners that had asia designs on them and in snack they learned about working together and being in a polite community, as they are in most Asia countries, by having to eat their snack while their wrist were tied to two different people. This was a challenge for some of the kids, but definatly they grew from. In celebration station the younger kids learned about emotions through dragons and the older ones discussed what it ment to protest something, and why you would want to, after watching a short picture video about Tibet. It was cool to see the protest signs that the groups came up with: No Fastfood, Save the Earth, More Reading and Less TV, etc.

The Surprise room was a little different, in that it did not have an Asian theme. Rather, each group learned specifically about their country and had to make a poster which they would present at closing. They were given facts, pictures, crayons and glue and told to be creative, and that is just what they were. I have posted pictures of all the country posters for you to see, so people check them out.

After lunch the team had a free afternoon to explore Policka. It was great to see the igerness of the czech volunteers to take them around and show them everything. It makes me smile even now thinking about how well the teen volunteers has accepted this older team.

Before going to dinner, the team was invited to attend a Pokec (talk show) which was hosted by the church band. The special guest was Chip Whipple! For thoughs who do not know Chip, this is his 6th English Camp and I think he is more excited every time!

Thoughts and reflections from the team:

Paula Denson: " I have observed the following:

1. How similar we (CZ and US) are in the things that we value most: family, home and pride in our heritage, as well as many who share similar beliefs and faith.

2. I love their happy nature when we get to know them in the Church and in their homes. They make me drop my serious cover and enjoy life!

3. I believe that Czech people are very giving and generous in all ways and I appreciate their sincere interest in each of us as we build relationships in Policka. "


Jody Whipple: " My first visit to the Czech Republic with the English Camp was four years ago. The kindness and generosity of the Czech people and their children has been an important part of my life since that time. I thank Policka for letting our team return to enjoy them, the scenery, architecture and hospitality of this beautiful village."

1 comment:

grandmad said...

Jamie & Jeremy, I'm amazed at how creative you are with all the planned events. The children are so lucky to have your guidance. It looks like so much fun, I wish I could be there too. Love you, Grandma D