Saturday, July 25, 2009

Whirlwind

It has been over a month since I have last written anything of substance on this blog. There were many times during our trip back to the United States where it crossed my mind to post, but each time I got caught up with my day-to-plans; consequently, putting it by the way side. To tell you the truth, my trip back to the United States was a mix of emotions. Some were full of love and appreciation, others were replete with confusion and frustration. I am still in the process of digesting my trip back 'home' and I am positive that I will probably never get to the bottom of all the emotions that made up my three weeks being back. I decided to keep a personal journal throughout my time there, so many of my battles within myself and with the American culture surrounding me have been etched in pen to paper, not from an electronic keyboard. I know that for some of you, the lack of any kind of update was/is very frustrating, and for that I am sorry. I can't really recount the depth of my thoughts through out the past months, but for your sake, I will type a really quick rundown of what we did each week we were home.

Week 1: Jamie and I flew into Pittsburgh after an exhaustingly long flight back. For some reason, it seemed longer flying over the Atlantic than usual: in most cases 7 hours is plenty, but for us, it was 9 hours until we touched ground. I have thought that the reason for this perception might be a manifestation of my emotional state; after all, I was so anxious to see my friends and my family that each hour was stretched to the max; each hour came to represent a chasm between me and warm embraces. We spent our first couple of days catching up on sleep and seeing some of my closest relatives. We went shopping and I bought myself a new pair of shoes, which were needed very badly. For the first couple of days, I was adjusting to a mini form of culture shock: I couldn't believe how wide the roads were and how big some of the houses were that I saw. I was struck by the fact that I REALLY did have to drive many places and that the American bread tasted more like 'flour fluff ' ( each time I put some in the toaster I felt like I was handling a fledgling that just hatched from an egg). I got to see Pittsburgh again and ride through the Fort Pitt Tunnels. It was so gorgeous and shockingly unique. After travelling to many cities and places, I still have to say that the topography around the city of Pittsburgh is second to only a few...

After some time in Pittsburgh, we drove down to Washington, PA to visit with Jamie's Aunt Cheryl. It was there that I had my first American steak while being back, and boy did it feel great to not have to worry about cutting off all the fat ( in the Czech Republic the fat of meat is considered one of the best parts; you eat it. ). We spent the night in Washington hearing about her Aunt's trip to Egypt and exchanging fun 'international travel' stories. The morning saw us off to Ohio, where we planned on stopping at two camps (Camp Kern and Camp Willson) to visit with some of the friends we worked with last spring before our departure to Europe. It was so much fun reconnecting and hearing about all their plans. Also, what was reiterated to us is the joy and that both of us receive from being in 'camp culture.' Camp culture is only understood by those how have worked at a Camp or attended one as a camper. I guess what I would sum it up as a passion not for material possessions, but for laughter, for playing and for seeing the beauty that is inherent in God's creation. It was so nice to be a part of it again, even if it was for only 3 days.

Week 2: After our stop at Willson, we began our second week driving up to Erie. We came a day earlier than what was indicated on our schedule, so we spent the first day relaxing with Jamie's parents and watching home videos (my favorite). It was so fantastic seeing Jamie when she was young. I must admit that I was quite a bit shocked at how loud she was; it seemed that everything she said was yelled at a pitch that resembled a trumpet mixed with a cat. On the fourth of July, we drove with her parents to a lake house in Saybrook, Ohio. It was there that we spent the entire second week of our trip. It was so great arising when we felt like, riding bikes in the late morning, relaxing on the back patio and finishing the night with a few cold drinks and (sometimes) a movie. The lake house was the perfect tonic for our nerves and our exhaustion. Sometimes we would have a barbecue or a picnic with some of her parent's friends, which were always a good time, as it afforded me an opportunity to get to know here parents not through the eyes of Jamie, but through their interactions with their closest friends. I am one who thinks that we don't really know each other until we are able to see each other through the eyes of other people. Needless to say, I was completely content.

Week 3: From the beginning of our trip, it seemed like things were going very slowly; we still had many people to see and we didn't have very much time to do it. The last week there was non-stop travelling and action, which I guess is OK, considering how much relaxation we did during our second. Our first stop was in Erie, again, where we spent time with Jamie's best friend Jess and her new 'boy' Ben. We had a nice fire, made 'smores and then went out to Erie's block party. After Erie, we travelled to Jennerstown, PA where we got to see the friends from Pine Springs Camp. We both were a tad bit nervous that we wouldn't know anyone up at camp anymore, after all, I worked there 4 years ago (unbelievable!). But, our nerves were reassured when the first people we saw upon pulling into the main, camp drive, were four of our closest Pine Springer friends: Tom, Bunny, Josh, Heidi, Ashley, Paul, etc. I loved being at Pine Springs and seeing some of the campers. I had many of them in my three years counseling there and it was quite surreal seeing them all much older. Many of them were larger than me now and some had facial hair! I wanted to go up and say hi to all of them, but I advised myself not to, because my beard and short hair did a pretty great job of concealing my identity: to the kids at Pine Springs, I will always be clean shaven, without glasses and have long locks of golden curls, and part of me wants to keep it that way. Plus, I'm sure some might have been creeped out if some 24-year old guy with a beard came up and started talking to them like he was their best friend...yeah....

After Pine Springs, we made a jaunt down to Waynesburg, where we stayed with both the Noftzger and Ribar families. I was once again reminded why Waynesburg is definitely my second home. I got to see some of the former youth group kids and I spent some time with friends who I had in college. It was here in Waynesburg, where Jamie and I gave a presentation to the local Presbyterian congregation and really felt able to start talking about the cultural/spiritual workings of the Czech Republic. I think what shocked me the most about Waynesburg were the questions that people asked us. Many of them were really in depth and belied a sincere interest in trying to hear/understand the joys, frustrations and challenges that come from living abroad. What was also quite different for me was the fact that even my relationship with many of the people in Waynesburg has changed; for four years I was a college student and they were my teachers, now, I feel more of an equal, like a friend who is accepted.

We spent our last few days up in Pittsburgh/Beaver county where I got to see many of my oldest, cherished friends . We went miniature golfing, congregated in a few bars, skipped stones in the Ohio River, watched Rambo, ate at the Hot Dogge Shoppe (original), had a burrito, played wiffle ball and culminated our time together with an excursion to Kennywood. It was during this time where I began to reflect heavily on the meaning of community and feeling a part of something. I know that what I have at home is a great network and a culture that is familiar to me and I to it. Part of me felt guilty for not being around for the past year, but I also know that without this year of complete separation, I would never come to the level of appreciation that I felt the few days before I left. So, when I had to say good-bye, it was most definitely bitter-sweet in the sense that I was happy to return to Policka, but going away was even harder: last year, I didn't know what I wouldn't have for one year, now I do.

The first half of our last day in America was spent up in Erie with Jamie's parents and her extended family. We had a nice barbecue and played frizcup. We said our goodbyes to grandparents, cousins, uncles, aunts. My parents were waiting for us in the town of Grove City, where we met them for an afternoon spent together with a little shopping on the side. We drove back down to Pittsburgh and visited my Grandma who had called together a small get-together to wish both of us away. We had chocolate cake, lots of pop-corn and pizza. My brothers were all there and a few of my friends came down.

The next morning, we left and returned to Prague without the apprehension and nervousness that had gripped us this time last year. We landed, met some of our friends from Sir Toby's hostel and jumped right back into our lives, here, in Bohemia.

3 comments:

Sallie Newsham said...

Hey Jamie and Jeremy, It was great to see you in Ohio. Glad to hear your travel went so well both while you were here and traveling back. Love, Sallie

Sara S. said...

Jeremy, I worked as camp registrar for 5 years at Cho Yeh, a wonderful Presbyterian Camp in Livingston, TX, north of Houston. I appreciated so much your comments:"Camp culture is only understood by those how have worked at a Camp or attended one as a camper. I guess what I would sum it up as a passion not for material possessions, but for laughter, for playing and for seeing the beauty that is inherent in God's creation." Made me realize how much I miss that community.
Thanks for keeping us back home in OK posted about our team's adventures there this next two weeks. I really miss Sam!
Blessings,
Sara

deb gibbs said...

jamie and jeremy, it was wonderful to have you with us in erie and at the lake house. i hope the english camp is fun for you ..i know you worked very hard to plan it. love, mom