Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Future plans

Two years ago when Jamie and I first agreed to come to Policka, we did so without really thinking about the two years after the CZ. Where would we go? What would we do? Would we go back to school? Would we stay longer in Europe? All of these questions rattled around in our head, unanswered. And, that was good. Yet, as this year came and the months quickly ticked off the calendar, Jamie and I were faced with the decision-making process again, and those same old questions came up. Except, this time, they had to be answered.

The definition of an adventure is quite a funny thing, in that all people have one. Usually, especially if you are young, the adventure that you dream up or concoct in your mind is quite exotic and unique: I want to move to Africa and cure aids; I’m going to hike through Asia; I’m going to ride on a helicopter through the Outback. Everything, every adventure, has to be grand and ‘international’ in flavor. Personally, for me, I had it. I wanted it to be that way. Consequently, the prospect of returning back to the United States was always up in the clouds, above my head, offering me a ‘foreboding’ reminder that the ‘wanderlust’ life will eventually come to a decisive end. I fought it—especially in September.
When Jamie and I both started job hunting, we often started as far away from Western, PA as we could. I know that I personally applied to three positions in Wyoming (of all places), one in Montana and one in Colorado. I though to myself, “well, if I’m going back to American, I might as well go someplace new. I’m still in the mood for exotic nature, which I think I can find…out WEST.” But, all the options fell through.

One day in February, I was perusing the internet on the AmeriCorps website and came across some job openings in Erie, Pennsylvania. I was very hesitant at first, as that was really the LAST place I would want to return to. But, I read the job descriptions of all the positions and each one of them offered something very interesting and worth-while: work with refugees, environmental education, college counseling, etc. I decided to apply. About two weeks later I had an interview. And, during the interview, the woman who was asking the questions, inquired as to whether I had a wife. “Yes” I answered, “She is looking to get into Environmental Education work.” “Really!?” replied the woman. “That’s funny, because we’re looking for a candidate for our open position who would be able to teach and work with an environmental group.” “Do you think your wife would be interested?” And, that’s how it started.

Less than a week later, Jamie had an interview, and then a second. A month later, she was offered a job with the Group “EarthForce.” I, on the other hand, had to wait a little bit longer. Ironically, they seemed more ‘gung-ho’ about Jamie than myself, and I was the original one who had applied!! But, by and by I finally did get my second interview and was offered a position with the group, “Urban Erie Development Corporation.”

To give you a very quick summary of what our lives next year will look like, I would like to tell you what the organizations do. EarthForce is an independent group that is nationally funded and run, however, is broken up into regional chapters: Jamie will be working for the Allegheny-Erie chapter. What EarthForce does (and no, it is not the crazy, eco-terrorist group, ‘EarthFirst!’) is they encourage environmental stewardship and community service among high school and middle school students. Jamie’s responsibility will be teaching and also ‘infrastructure building.’ This means that she will be the direct liaison for the group between the communities; she will have to find volunteers, encourage community involvement with EarthForce, give presentations to Universities and enjoy life on Presquile Isle.

Urban Erie Development Corporation, on the other hand, is a non-profit organization that specializes in community development in poverty-stricken areas. Their program is holistic in that they have programs that address the economic, social, educational and practical problems that come with being poor. My main responsibility will be working with youth through an after-school program, helping start up a community garden project with the large refugee population in Erie, and writing grants.

We both look forward to our new jobs and are confident that we will gain a lot of experience from them. We are working with AmeriCorps, which means that we are also being offered many incentives for our service: money for graduate school, a one year non-competitive status for any government job (National Park Jobs, anyone!?), and training for work and life in an NGO (Non-Government Organization).

The decision-making process was long, and I must admit, sometimes difficult, and we still don’t really have the answers to a concrete future path. Our two years in the Czech Republic have been a blessing in that it has opened our eyes to many different perspectives and experiences. We both feel confident going back to the United States, with the knowledge that we can succeed in difficult situations and that we can always adapt. We’ve grown in our work in the church, and have accepted it as our own. We no longer worry about what was done before, or what kind of opinion the community of Policka will have of us. We know that we’ve had a positive impact on both this church, and the community. We’ve also learned that failing is a part of succeeding, and that you have to have ‘tough skin’ sometimes when working for change (be it the perception of Christians in the Czech Republic, or working for change within the inner city of Erie). It has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience in the fullest of senses.

So, I guess I can go back to the beginning to tie this in. When we first left for the Czech Republic, Jamie and I were searching for an adventure, I guess. We wanted to learn, see and experience ‘something’ new. And, now, as I reflect and ponder on the life that awaits both Jamie and me in Erie, I can rest in the fact that my definition of adventure has been altered: it no longer has to be ‘big’ or ‘glamorous’. Each day we wake up with opportunities to challenge our perspective, or to see a place, or a person, or an experience in new light. Of course, this is much easier to come by if every single day you’re constantly bombarded with a different culture and language; it is a completely different story, when were stuck in the normal town, or in the comfortable life of where we grew up. Yet, like I said, each day you can search for something new—an adventure perhaps.
In this newsletter I also wrote about my joy at being able to plant a tree in Policka, and how the imagery of ‘roots’ grappling into the soil was powerful for me as I prepare for my departure. And, really, it’s the same with my preparation to go back to Pennsylvania; I’ll be happy to water the roots that are firmly planted in my own home, native soil.

Oh, yeah, it’ll also be nice to play baseball and see friends again. But, you already know that, right?

1 comment:

Jake said...

every day is an adventure, my friend. i'm glad you see that. adjusting to the USA will be the biggest adventure you've had since leaving! i look forward to talking with you both upon your return.