Sunday, August 21, 2011

Snow-flaked?

There is always a learning curve when moving to an new place. You have to relearn where the good places to eat are, what there is to do on the weekends, where all the different stores are, etc. Plus there are always little oddities that catch you off guard.

The first one were the bike lanes. Coming from Erie I didn't expect there to be so many. And I also didn't expect them to appear and disappear like they do. Jeremy and I were biking around our second full day in Milwaukee, getting a little lost mind you, and decided that we wanted to turn right onto some road. Instantly I had an "oh crap" moment as I realized we were about to go over an interstate look bridge, but much to my surprise a bike lane appeared. It's like the city put them in areas where bikers really need them and the rest of the time they assume a biker and hold their own.

The second oddity we encountered happened today while at the grocery store. Nothing new or exciting, just buying food. We went up to the deli to buy some lunch meat and I asked the guy behind the counter for a pound of shaved smoked turkey. He then reached into the case and pulled some out - clearly not shaved. After placing it on the scale I asked if we could get it cut any thinner and he replied, "oh, do you want it snow-flaked?" and put the "shaved" lunch meat back into the case and proceeded to cut us some "snow-flaked smoked turkey". It ended up being exactly what we wanted, but how would we have ever guessed that "snow-flaked" in Milwaukee means "shaved". Weird. I think we might have to ask around to verify that this is an actual term that is used.

1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

snow-flaked lunch meat..TOO FUNNY!