Friday, September 16, 2011

Farm Markets and Market baskets



It's been two weeks since I started working at Growing Power and man, what a cool job. Mind you, the majority of the time I am in a little office with the accountant, on my computer entering things into quickbooks, but every so often there is a little surprise change up. For instance, on Wednesday I was told I would be going to the farmer's market at Marquette University because the person who would normal would go had to do something else. So my co-worker and I loaded into a van with our produce and headed down to Marquette. This farmers market has been in the works for years and is the second annual, however bigger and better. This fall there are three farmers markets planned where students will be able to buy fresh, local produce, dairy, baked goods and more. Ands the best part about it is that the sustainability program at Marquette is sponsoring it, so students are able to use their meal plan and MU cash to pay for they food they purchase. The market lasted from 11am-3pm and what do you know, I get my picture in the newspaper!



One of the perks of working on a farm is access to fresh fruits and veggies. Market baskets are available every Friday, so I thought I would give you a little taste of what is in one. The great thing is they change every week, and you'll never know what you're gonna get!

1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

what a nice variety of veggies!
looks like you got a bunch of garlic. if you can't use it all fast enough, you can dice it and keep it in a jar in the fridge or..i just read about this..you can dry it in your dehydrater and the grind it into garlic powder.