Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I work on an urban farm


Never in a million years did I think that I would be working for a farm - an urban one at that. But here I am, two days into my new job at Growing Power, as an a assistant to the accountant. So you see, I'm not really a farmer...well, or an accountant for that matter, but I heard about Growing Power and their mission from a bunch of different people and they had an opening for a position, and here I am.

Growing Power is a 501c3 nonprofit and land trust that was founded in 1993 by a man named Will Allen. Will's parents were farmers, but he is quoted as saying that he never thought that he would be a farmer as well. But it's a good thing he changed his mind because this man has been an influential piece in the good food movement (or revolution as he calls it)

Simply said, the mission of Will Allen, and of Growing Power, is the make healthy food affordable to everyone (everyone meaning every human being on earth). And his thoughts, as well as the U.N.'s Food and Agricultural Organization, is that the only way to make health food affordable is for it to be produced and distributed at a local level. One of ways that Growing Power does this is through it's market basket program and farmers markets. Cool huh? I could go on forever, but I suggest you check our their website instead! (www.growingpower.org)

No comments: