Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day 46

Petoskey,MI - Mancelona,MI (64 miles)

In a car, the drive from Petoskey to Mancelona is 40 miles and takes a little less than an hour. By bike it is 64 miles and takes five and a half hours. Welcome to Michigan! There doesn't seem to be a direct route to any of the places we are going.

It was a bit surreal being back in Mancelona at Au Sable. It has been 6 years since I was an  environmental ed. intern there, but upon arriving it felt like it was just yesterday! 

I had called Paul, one of the guys I worked with when I was an intern in 2007, and he told me there was going to be an alumni reunion this weekend. So once we arrived we were met by a few familar faces and got to meet a bunch of great people.
Au Sable has to parts of it: the college classes and the elementary school classes (ELC). I was only involved with the ELC, so it was really cool to talk to people who had done the field classes and research. Au Sable is definitely a place that a lot of people love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that area. Did you have time to enjoy the Great Lake?

Unknown said...

And the local art is inspiring.