Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 63

Fairview,PA - Portland,NY (50 miles)

Today we dusted off our bikes, wiggled the lazy out of our legs and headed to New York. We left my grandma's house this morning with my dad and brother. I was ecstatic that they wanted to ride! They got to see how an average day biking is, AND how stupidly happy we get when we enter a new state. Jeremy has a head cold, so we didn't put in too hard of a day, but it was still a great ride.

East of Erie we found ourselves in wine country. I grew up in the area so I knew about the vineyards, but I didn't know about the wonderful aroma that filled the air. It was like biking through a glass of grape juice. 

Midway through our ride we ran into rain and wind. I had forgotten how windy it is near the lake! When the storm was approching we decided to take shelter for a bit at a park near the beach. It felt like a sand storm. Sand in our eyes. Sand in our teeth. Sand blasting our limbs. It was really cool watching the lightening out over the lake. It didn't end up raining, so we rode on....five minutes down the road we got poured on. Out came the tarp.

After the rain passed, the sun came out and it turned into a lovely afternoon. We found a place to camp at a state park on the beach,  met up with my mom and went out to dinner. Today was great!

No comments: