Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Left-handed knitting

Lefties make up 12.5% of the world's population. If you are right-handed you are probably thinking, ok, cool statistic, but what's the big deal? If your left-handed you are probably think, hmm, so there about 700 million other people who can relate. Now, I wouldn't call myself a pure lefty as there is a whole list of things I do right-handed, but I still do most with my left. One of those things is knit.
About two months ago I got serious about learning how to knit. My grandma tried to teach me when I was twelve, but resorted to teaching me how to crochette. The problem was that my grandma is right-handed and I am not. So after probably an hour of me not getting it my grandma taught herself how to crochette left-handed so she could show me.  Then jokingly anounced that I was on my own if I wanted to learn to knit.  Sixteen years later I figured it was time to learn.
A number of people told me that knitting is "so easy". All of those people where right-handed, and had someone who were able to teach them.  I had YouTube to teach me - not easy, but also not impossible. Sadly YouTube can't tell you when you make a mistake or how to fix it. But with enough patience it is possible to make sence of knitting left-handed by referencing only the internet.
My first real project was a hat, which I gave to my grandma.



1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

The hat is adorable!! I saw it at grandma's. She has on the table in the tv room and said she is so proud to have it.