Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mid-July garden update

It's mid-July and things finally look like they are growing and we, or shall I say I since Jeremy is in Nigeria, are having our first yield. Just this week it stopped raining everyday and I started picking peas, kale, beans and a tomato. Thankfully our friend Sam was willing to take the tomato off my hands so I didn't have to deal with not wanting to eat it, ew. Hopefully none of the other tomatoes will ripen until Jeremy returns.

Gardening in raised beds and containers is fun, and I'm thankful to have fresh produce. However, I can't help but want more. We have ten bean plants, three feet of pea plants, we will be lucky to get 20 onions, four potato plants, a row of carrots, a small lettuce box and a handful of pepper plants that may
never produce. The only thing we have an abundance of is tomato blossoms, great... Of course I am spoiled. Growing up we had so many beans and peas that we could hardly keep up with them. We never had to mix in store bought beans to serve at dinner for a family of four.

But we DO have veggies growing in our city lot, and for that I am thankful. And we aren't the only ones either. Out of the six houses closest to us, four of them also have gardens. And we live a block away from a 24+ bed community garden. AND our friends just bought a house in the neighborhood and it came with an amazing garden stocked with veggies and perennial berries and two composters. Two! I think what I am getting at is that I'm bummed that our garden isn't a bit bigger, but I'm stoked to see so many others growing food too. The word city should not be paired soley with concrete, which is how my brain has classed it for a long time.

1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

tomatoes...yummy!!! I'm glad you are harvesting some stuff. We have only had peas so far, but the beans aren't far behind.