Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Northern Lights came to Milwaukee

It is nights like this when I wonder what we ever did without social media.  If it weren't for Facebook I probably wouldn't have even known that there was a chance of seeing the Northern Lights in Wisconsin.  If I has not searched Instagram and found hundreds of amazing pictures being posted of the lights in real time from around the world I probably wouldn't have ventured out to see if I could actually catch a glimpse.  I'm so glad that I did.

It's unusual for the Northern Lights to dip down as low as Wisconsin, let along be seen in a city with as much light pollution that Milwaukee has. I truly had my doubts, but I went with a friend to the darkest spot in the city I could think of and what do you know, there they were.  Of course they
looked different (dimmer) than the picture my camera captured, but even so you could clearly see the bands of light moving across the sky.  I can only wonder what they would have looked like if the entire city would have powered down for the hour we stood and watched.  

I guess that lesson I should learn from this experience is to just do stuff. regardless if it sounds a little far fetched or crazy at the time. There have been some many opportunities I have passed up to see or experience some really great things and it's time to start embracing those opportunities rather then sticking to my normal routine.

1 comment:

deb gibbs said...

SO COOL!! I'm glad you got to see them...It's on My bucket list.