Sunday, August 31, 2008

Spiritual Quintet Concert


This evening Jeremy and I went to a concert with Madla and the Dus family. The band that played was named "Spiritual Quintet", and they are a group that plays blues and blue grass. My first thoughts durning the concert were how interesting it was to hear blues music in another language. I don't think I have heard about any other country adopting that style of music, but it sounded great! Another thing that caught my attention was that they sang 3 songs in English (Didn't my lord deliver Daniel was one of the songs) all of which where old gospel and slave songs, and others had familiar melodies, only with Czech lyrics. We were told that the band formed during communism and were seen as a voice of freedom to the Czech people, so I find it interesting that they sang old slave songs that were a cry for freedom during that time. The band had a great turn out, ranging from old to young. Those who attended, came not only to enjoy the music, but also to remember what this band had done for the Czechs in an era of oppression.

No comments: