Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Boulders and Barriers.


The sun finally came out on Saturday, which was a blessing considering it had rained for 8 days straight. Jamie and I went to Cachnov the week before and it was cold and rainy: the type of weather that seems to chill you down to your bones. I really wanted to take some of the guys bouldering, but I knew that if the weather turned ugly and even the slightest bit of rain fell on Friday night or Saturday morning, I would have to cancel the trip. Yet, the sun was shining and the morning did not have quite the bite that I expected. Needless to say, I was very happy walking towards the train station knowing that today would work out after all.

I met two guys Honza and Premek. I expected to meet Jirka, but he called and told us that he would not be able to make the trip, so it was just going to be three. I was happy with the small number, as it afforded me the opportunity to practice my Czech and get to know these two students. Both Premek and Honza are becoming my close friends. Premek is always good for a conversation about politics, history, culture and Honza is eager to share Czech music. I appreciate them both.

We hiked for 2 1/2 hours to Cytri Palice. Along the way we discussed culture, music, history and anything else that came to our minds. I told them that the big rocks would be down the path further, but we stopped to "practice" on a few boulders about 2 miles west of Cytri Palice. They were little bit hesitant to start climbing, but once our goal was set (the top) they had no problem jumping in with me. In fact, Premek and Honza both began asking questions and trying to figure out the best way to the top. It was a challenging boulder, as it was covered in moss and the rock was rounded, but we did climb up near the top. They both announced that it was quite fun and a little bit frightening. We then continued on our trek to Ctyri Palice, where we sat down to have lunch and would hope to climb the two largest and most difficult boulders of the day. In reality, the two largest boulders proved to be the least challenging and we hiked up to the top of them in less than 10 minutes. The look from the top was wonderful; we could see to the other side of the valley and the rolling hills beyond. We decided to hike back to Cachnov and along the way climb the last two rocks. I am thankful that the last two climbs proved to be quite technical, for bouldering, because it left Premek and Honza with a sense of accomplishment and a yearning to try bouldering again in the spring. All in all, we bouldered 5 rocks, hiked for 12 miles and got back to Policka before dinner; not a bad day!

Fun fact: the winter scenes from Narnia WERE taped in the Czech Republic, which means Jamie's observation, in the last post, was dead on!

Living in a foreign culture has its pleasures and its pains. There are many times when I feel down-right confused and vulnerable. You have to trust on a level that takes one out of their comfort zone. From the most basic conversation to a speech dealing with theory and thinking, I have to rely on other people. Those that translate are put in the position where they have to make a choice: are they going respect the person speaking, or will they change the words when it becomes suitable to them. Your meaning can be distorted through improper translation.
Often it is difficult to know even if they are talking about you! Yet, I know when something is being said that is not for my ears, because they usually change very quickly into Czech and then back into English; this is a very uncomfortable situation. We English speakers have a hard time doing this, because most people will try to hear what you are talking about, as many are perpetually "practicing" their English. Not having any privacy is a negative aspect of speaking a language that has become the de facto international tongue. Sometimes I wish that no one knew English, so Jamie and I could vent about frustrations without the fear of being understood! This is something the Czechs do not worry about, because they are sure (rightly so) that many foreigners don't speak Czech, so they can talk with a sense of secrecy. However, it is a delicate balance of trust. Czechs, just like the person translating, have decisions to make: will they speak in Czech knowing that they are leaving you out when it is convenient for them, or will they attempt to be open and transparent?
Out of all changes and difficulties that come from living in a foreign land, from food, to sport, to social expectations, nothing has been more frustrating than accepting the vulnerable position that I find myself in when I am in a social setting. To trust and to be respected takes on a completely different meaning when I have to attain these attributes through the mouth and tongue of a stranger.

Learning a new language is challenging: new words, grammar, sentence structure and a new alphabet. But, learning a new language can also be funny! Throughout the past two months, my Czech has been improving, but I have made my fair share of mistakes. I can only imagine how thickly-accented my words are and how often I bastardize the structure of sentences: "I want bar candy?!" Thankfully, Czechs are a forgiving people when it comes to speaking their very complex and unique language; they are usually more enamored with the fact that you are trying and will announce at once, "tův Cesky je moc dobrý!", which means, "your Czech is so good!" However, one must not be deceived. It is not your Czech that it is good, it is merely your effort at speaking this language that is admirable. So, without much ado, I will give you a snippet of my language mishaps. I hope you find these as enjoyable as me, and of course, as enjoyable as they were to the Czechs who heard them!

I once said:

"Premek, I would like to cook your parents for dinner", instead of saying, "Premek, I would like to cook your parents dinner".

Explaining to a notary secretary why I had two papers I announced:

"That paper is my wife", instead of, "that is my wife's paper."

Trying to tell Jirka that I thought his father was a kind man, I said:

"Jirka, your father is a nice man," which doesn't sound all that bad, until one realizes (ah, culture) that in the Czech Republic, what I really said was, "Jirka, your father is a very attractive man".

oh boy, remember earlier I spoke about being vulnerable.....

2 comments:

Sallie Newsham said...

Jamie and Jeremy, I enjoy reading your blog....you are such adventurous souls. Jeremy, I loved your language bloopers. Jamie, spent Saturday at Penn State with your mom and Dad and Sue and Jimmy and had a great time. Got to bond with Sean who is now there as well. Love, Sallie

deb gibbs said...

jeremy, very amusing gaffs..humbling, i imagine to be at the mercy of others all the time. the climbing sounded like fun! love deb