Sunday, November 30, 2008

going to the ball!

I really don't know how to dance. I remember being in junior high and seeing a few of my classmates make a large circle and then proceed to dance in the middle of it for everyone to see. Kids were clapping, shouting and yelling encouragments and sexually explicit remarks to those students who were girating their prepubescent hips and contorting their bodies into awkward, mock sex positions. All of this happened in the center of the circle, the stage, the show. There was no way I would willingly go towards the center, but I was very comfortable and often intrigued watching this spectacle from the outside. A few times I had the unfortunate experience of being chosen to enter into the vortex, but I slyly side-stepped back into the mass of kids standing on the periphery and made off towards the cafeteria where I could find my wall-flower pals and pop. Honestly, in high school, it wasn't any different for me: there was a circle and an overflow of oft-misplaced sexuality. I mean, no one actually 'danced.' My Grandma used to lament, "that no young kids know dances these days. All they do is hump each other and bee-bop."

Well Grandma, come to the Czech Republic. Kids here know how to dance. In fact, they even take classes in dancing: cha-cha, waltz, polka, blues, jive, samba, tango. This Friday, Jamie and I were invited to take part. Hearkening back to my junior high days, I figured this would be a social event, not serious dancing. Turns out, it was serious dancing. The guys were all dressed in suits and they were all sporting a pair of immaculate white gloves. WHITE GLOVES!? Who would have thought? Upon entering the theater I was blown away by the amount of YOUNG people dancing the waltz, which then quickly changed into the polka. Seventeen, eighteen year old girls and boys dancing the polka....the polka. My friend Honza, who I went hiking with (previous post), immediately grabbed Jamie by the arms and took her down to the dance floor, where they twirled and stepped around the whole stage, like two toy dolls spinning in a music box. I was amazed; he was good, really good. Jamie was great to; considering she had never danced the polka or the waltz before.

After about a half and hour, a few of my Czech friends were asking if I was ready to go dance, but I informed that I was an atrocious dancer. They didn't seem to believe me and egged me on anyway. Czechs have a funny way of thinking that anyone can dance if just given the chance, but I was obviously an exception. I was terrible, truthfully. I felt bad dancing, because many of them have fun when they can dance properly, but if they were with me, they would struggle to move, as I got my feet all tangled and I was confused as to where my hands should go. Our friend Madla tried to teach me, but I was a miserable student. Only when people started staring at me from the balcony did I really want to quit; however, I did have fun giving it a try.

Jamie was dancing for most of the night. I was really happy to see her open up and let loose, because she is so shy when speaking Czech, and for one night, it was me who was the shy one, hesitant, unsure and a little bit embarrassed.

Friday was also the first night where I began to take a sense of pride in the new friends that Jamie and I are making. Vividly, I remember standing above the stage amongst a row of empty tables and I saw about five of my close Czech friends walk past. They were all together and they were walking up towards the balcony. I remember feeling a sense of relief, because I knew, in that group, were people who cared about Jamie and I and who are willing to patiently listen to our basic Czech. They have been to our apartment, had dinner with us and met our friends. It is a very nice feeling to know that finally, Jamie and I are developing a group that we can call our own.

The climax of the night occurred during the dance competition, when Honza was chosen as one of the best dancers. He was called up on stage and given a number; they chose eight couples. He was number four. A literal "dance-off" then ensued where each couple had to dance four styles chosen by the judges. After each round, the couples would line up in the middle of the floor and receive their score. Repeatedly, he scored a "1". Jamie and I had no idea what that meant: was it good, or was it the worst? It ended up being the best, because Honza was announced as the winner. I watched him descend the stairs and was very happy for him. His face was aglow with pride, but more importantly, for Jamie and I, we were cheering, because we knew him . We know his mother, we've spoken to him about his dreams and we listen to his music. He is our friend, not just an acquaintance and it felt great to have somebody to cheer for.

4 comments:

Grandma D said...

Jamie & Jeremy, Wish I could have been there to see it. Especially the waltzes and polkas. Why not take some lessons? You'll get to love it! Love, Grandma D

deb gibbs said...

jeremy and jamie,it sounds like such a fun evening!! gramda is right ..you should take lessons. what fun you both would have and then you would always be able to impress people here in the u.s.with your dancing...because we can't!!

Sallie Newsham said...

Jeremy and Jamie, What a wonderful post and what fun you must have had! Jamie, you must have inherited your dad's dancing genes....he would always be nice and slow dance with me and I am like Jeremy.....he never even made a sound when I stepped on his toes but he always kept trying to tell me not to try and lead. I was a horrible dancing student!

Paula D said...

Hi guys -
I just enjoyed viewing your blog and loved seeing all the pictures of our Czech friends and their activities. Good job on all fronts! When I was in 7th grade I took ballroom dancing at a church sponsored school. Perhaps while some of the Czech friends are in Oklahoma next August we could host a "Dance Night" at our church! Why not sound them out on that?

Have a wonderful Christmas and tell all the Policka friends Merry Christmas for me!