Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Quick update

This past Saturday, Jarda and I had our first interview with Mila Plecharcek. It went fairly well, besides the fact that I had to continually switch between English and Czech, which made the whole 3-hour process completely exhausting for me. First impressions, from my side, are encouraging, yet I am leery. I realized that after our first interview that this project will be a lot of work: I must translate most of what I record, questions need to revised, my Czech must improve and I need to have a clear goal. All in a days work...

I've also been living with an eye towards next year. Jamie and I have been searching for new jobs and opportunities, as we both understand that our remaining 9 months will literally be a blink. I am excited to tell you that I have decided (tentatively) to join Americorps VISTA. This program is geared more towards adults who have experience and are willing to work with a non-profit to fight poverty all over the United States. The Vista program is excellent in the fact that it bestows more responsibility upon the volunteer to DEVELOP and implement programs that address the causes of poverty. With my history of work, I feel that I am able to apply my skills to a wide array of needs within the Americorps program: ecology, environmental sustainability and management, counseling, youth interaction, community development, adult education, economic development, etc... The greatest worth of the program is that it gives me an excellent opportunity to really 'flesh out' if this development 'work' is for me. I would like to go to graduate school, so I feel that the 12 months that I'm in the Americorps program will be a wonderful tool in assessing my own skills and passion for that kind of work. Also, you never know, I might get a permanent job out of it. :)

Jamie is searching for work in Environmental Education; she would like to be a director or have an administrative position.

No comments: