Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 1 of English Camp!

First day of camp! Waahooo!

I'm pretty sure that every camp started off with just as much excitement and energy that this camp did, but it's always quite the feeling to walk into a room full of people and hear the energizer songs and seeing a smile on everyones face.

When Jeremy and I were planning the camp we were nervous that there would not be enought campers interested in attending since there are two other big camps going on at the same time. However, as the applications trickled in, I was surprised to hear that our final count was 90 students!

The theme of this years camp is Superheroes, and each day will have a mini theme that is a characteristic of superheroes (friendship, creativity, kindness, etc...), which the campers will be learning about. However there is a catch. Everyday there is a skit, biblically based, were there are two superheroes that are trying to save the world, however they are always too late - a normal, everyday person does the job for them. Because you see, you don't have to be a superhero to do good things.

Everyday I plan on posting pictures and thoughts from the Oklahoman team, so that you back home will have a taste of what is happening here. Of course you'll have to wait until everyone is back home to hear all the great stories :) So feel free to leave comments for the team and please keep the camp in your thoughts and prayers.

2010 English Camp: Monday

Thoughts from the Oklahoma mission team:

Kelsey Goebel: Today was amazing. The children were so excited. Seeing the smiles on all their faces was so inspiring. I can't wait to continue working in the camp.

Malory Scott: As Monday came around the corner, from all the preparation, I realized that even though it is the first day I already feel the connection between the campers and us. The excitement they has was encouraging even though they were cautious with how they responded to us. I hope that everyone can step away from this week with the feeling that they had made a connection and a difference in the lives of the camper this week.

Tonya Scott: My first day of English Camp made me realise that kids are so very similar - regardless of geography. Today I had students of all ages and I watched them laugh, talk and wrestle. I had expected quieter, more withdrawn children, thinking American kids were more rambuctious, but I quickly realised that they are the same - the smiles, the laughter, the curiosity. Even though it was a hot and tiring day it was full of excitment and reward.

No comments: