Friday, July 23, 2010

America: first reactions

I've been back in the United States for about four days now, and I'm fairly quickly adjusting to life (I'm not so sure I'm actually adjusting to life; I think I might just be getting overwhelmed with all the 'new' cultural experiences that it leads me to skimp out on taking the proper amount of time to reflect on what is happening to me; consequently, giving myself the illusion that I've actually readjusted fairly well). Having said that, I know that there have been numerous times this past week where I've been utterly shocked and confused as to how I'm suppose to act in public and as to how I'm to accept a drastic change in lifestyle.

Here are just a few of the things that I've noticed that are different:

1. Language It was really strange getting off the plane in Chicago and instantly hearing everyone around me speaking fluent, rapidly-paced English. My initial shock was at the American accent and how 'nasally' it sounds. On Tuesday I had the chore of driving down to the DMV to pick up my new licence and the women who waited on me spoke so quickly that I was often at a loss as to what she said. She told me three times at one point to "take a seat along the wall", upon which I proceeded to stand in front of her desk waiting for my picture. I didn't understand her rapid intonation and different rhythm; it would have been easier if she had just spoken to me in Czech. I do believe that she thought I was hard of hearing; her blank stares and confusion as to why I was still standing before her after three commands to sit made me feel like a complete idiot. I went to the pub last night with a few friends and had a great time drinking some Pennsylvania beers. It was so funny being in the pub and knowing that I'm not the foreign person dragging the conversation to a lower speed and jumbling my words with a thick accent; everyone understood me, I understood them. Conversing was SO easy--I was able to say exactly what I wanted and with as much slang as I cared to use.

Nature/Weather I forgot how beautiful Western Pennsylvania really is. The hills in this area are never-ending and they all seem to be covered with a rich layer of deciduous trees. Everything here is green, and the sight-lines that are to be found when crossing over the numerous bridges that dot the area are magnificent. Yesterday while driving in my brothers truck to Beaver Falls, I had the window down and I heard the incredibly loud chirping of the cicadas in the trees. I had forgotten how much I missed that sound, as it has come to signify the season of summer and all the 'good' that is surrounded with it: sandcastle, running in the sun, Kennywood, barbecues and hikes through the woods. Aside from the wonderful foliage that I'm taking in at every turn, the heat has been quite unbearable for me. It is so much more humid here than in the Czech Republic, and when I walk outside I instantly become covered in running lines of sweat. I don't want to sit outside, really.

People Americans by nature are incredibly polite and uphold a level of common courtesy that just isn't seen in the Czech Republic--this has been one of the best little gems of cultural readjustment I have run into. I remember when I was in the airport in Chicago, I was pushing a cart with all of our bags on it. I made a wrong turn into a line and had to turn around. While doing so, the largest and heaviest piece of luggage that I had slid off and crashed onto the ground. I hurriedly rushed to pick it up, as I saw hoards of travelers coming my way--I was worried that they wouldn't have the patience to wait for me while I did battle with the 50-pound bag. To the contrary, all of them stopped and smiled at me and asked if I needed some help; it was utterly shocking. After spending two years in the Czech Republic, where people are impatient and don't want to wait in line, I found the American nicety of offering a lending hand and not 'huffing and puffing' when they have to wait a few extra minutes completely refreshing. The second 'nicety' I discovered was in the grocery store when I was checking out. In the Czech Republic, the common tradition is for the shopper to place their items on the move able belt and then run in the front to bag their own groceries. The cashier generally does not smile, nor do they talk to you; they just read off the price and ask if you want something else. When I first moved to Policka, I found this to be very intimidating and cold behavior. So, when I went to the local Shop 'n' Save and the cashier greeted me with a large smile and very welcoming "How are you doin'?", I knew I was in a different country. She even began talking to me; it seemed as if she wanted to hold an actual conversation!

Lifestyle The most negative aspect of being home is having to deal with the overall wastefulness of American lifestyle and habits. Every single day I'm utterly shocked at the amount of plastic bags that people use when they shop for food, and I've grown completely disgusted with the lack of recycling bins. Just today, I looked in the garbage at my brother's house and saw that about 75 percent of the material that was thrown away could be/should be recycled, yet it will be placed in a land-fill somewhere. There are massive cars everywhere, and when I ride my bike I'm continually on alert, as I feel that many people who drive in gigantic automobiles don't even look out for cyclists. The cars seem to be getting larger than I can remember, which is kind of ironic considering we're suppose to be producing more 'environmentally-friendly' automobiles. I must admit that I've also seen my fair share of obese people, which I had hoped wouldn't be so bad. We Americans have the stereotype of being the fattest nation on earth. For a long time I refused to believe it, but I must admit that many of the people I see driving these gigantic cars are quite large themselves. It's a vicious cycle of static living, poor eating and dependence that lead many Americans down a road of poor health. I just wish for Jamie and I that we will be able to find a balance and try not to live such an environmentally degrading and unhealthy lifestyle.


Architecture Probably the most unexpected joy I've gotten out of being home, has been my fascination with the local architecture around the Pittsburgh area. My time in the Czech Republic was long enough for me to come back home and see the brick buildings and three-story houses built into the hillsides in a whole new light. Generally, I have the perception that American houses are really all just an agglomeration of the 'McMansion' style, and all of our stores are big-boxes surrounded by oceans of parking spots. I've come to realize that this isn't the case. Today I went on a run around the town and saw--I think--at least two very distinct and beautiful architectural styles: Old German style from the Harmonites and the practical, industrial style housing that was built during the steel boom of the early 20th century. I love it how the houses and the buildings all are built upon the sides of hills; their peaked roofs create really beautiful and symmetrical sight lines as they climb their way up to the crest. For many years I found these houses to be just dirty remnants of a 'better' time, but I now see them as having uniqueness and character--we would do well to preserve them.

No comments: