Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Updates from America

I went into my new place of work two days ago and was shocked by the lack of organization that I saw: papers were strewn about the place in stacks as if they were building obelisks; each room seemed to have a purpose that it could be serving, but was currently preoccupied as 'storage'; the computer lab has about 15 'portable' laptops that could be used by the children if they were able to actually take them home, which is greatly inhibited by the fact that almost all of the power cords are missing; and my boss didn't seem to have the time of day to speak with me for more than five minutes. It was, to put it lightly, a very discouraging experience. But, I guess I can't judge it too harshly; people there seemed to be pretty underwhelmed by myself: when I walked in the door the manager's first words were, "Well, I'd expected you to be a bit taller." And when I was introduced to the children who are in the program, all of them took a disinterested/disappointed glance my way and wistfully, almost sad fully, mumbled, 'HE is the one who is going to be here next year?" Yeah, awesome start....


After two weeks of being back in America, I can honestly say that the party has ended: we're both currently living out of Jamie's house and all of our possessions are haphazardly stacked in their living room, pressing into the carpet and spilling onto the couch. I can't find any of my possessions both from the Czech Republic and years previous, and my back is beginning to twitch because the mattress-on-the-floor comfort is just not kicking it anymore. I feel stranded by the fact that I can't walk where I want and when I want, and I'm really sad that I can't leave my peanut butter toast plate on the counter, so I don't have to continually waste water washing it repeatedly when I know that in just another two hours I'm gonna grab for the JIF again. Ugh....the pains of in-law living....


On a brighter note, Jamie and I took a jaunt over to our apartment today (well, our apartment as of August 28th...I hope), and I found it to be really refreshing to know that in less than four weeks I'll be calling that old, clapboard house home. It's wonderfully situated less than a block away from three institutions in my life: the library, the church, and the bar (it's a slight joke ;) ). I plan on regularly making my way to them. We're located about three city blocks up from the bay of Lake Erie, which means we're also in walking distance of a park with benches that over look the steely-gray waters. One night, I'm sure Jamie and I will talk about the future while watching the lights of yachts and sail boats float quietly by. I look forward to that.

This weekend Jamie and I have planned a camping trip in the Allegheny National Forest with about nine of friends coming to partake in the campfires, hiking and fishing that is to be had. I've never really spent anytime near the national forest, so I'm anticipating the hikes through some of the world's richest and densest black-cherry wood forest, and seeing the twisted hulks of contorted oaks left over from the tornadoes of 1985. Pennsylvania, I'm home!

1 comment:

Tomáš Jirků said...

Oh, my dear and poor Jeremy! I have just read your article "Updates from America", still laughing. You are a great story-teller! I never thought somewhere could be greater mess than in our agencies. So, keep smiling! And all the best for next steps both of you! With love Tomas Jirku