Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Box-o-perennials

So at work there are these three great flower beds filled with perennials. Some natives, some generic flower bed flowers. Regardless, they are beautiful beds, they just need some TLC.

Today, to my horror, I saw compost being dumped on the beds, still filled will flower! I get it, we are a farm, but WHY on earth wouldn't we take the time to remove the perennials, lay down cardboard to cover the weeds AND THEN put down the compost for our plants?! I asked a co-worked if I could dig some up to save, and after getting the "go-ahead" me and other co-worked started digging out any remaining flowers.

Here is what I brought home with me:
- Columbine or Granny's bonnet
- Lemon balm
- Tulips
- unknown plant

There are a number of places I want to plant flowers in our yard, so with this round of free plants I started working on the space between the house and walkway. It is hard to mow vegetation there, plus after a closer look there are already some cool flowers growing. 
The next step will be getting my hands on some woodchip!

No comments: