Thursday, May 1, 2014

May 1st: still waiting on spring

It's May 1st and a high of 51 degrees today in Milwaukee. Brrr. Almost everyone we meet has at least one complaint about this year's "unseasonably" cold spring. Which made me ponder, what that the temperature last year? High of 85. Ugh. Year before last? High of 61. Egh, that is still ten whole degrees higher than today. But as I went back year after year I noticed that since 2000 most May 1sts where right around the same temperature at today.  Please note the graph I made. This finding shouldn't surprise me. This IS Wisconsin. We are next to a giant body of fresh water that accumulates quite a bit of ice over the winter.  Heck, the image on the back every seed packet have Wisconsin as dark blue meaning don't plant anything outside until June.  I think after this winter and the polar vortax everyone in Milwaukee, and the upper mid-west, are more than ready for some warm weather. So here's hoping for some sun. Happy May Day.

No comments: