Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Worm bin experiment

Worm bins are great. You can get rid of your veggie waste AND the castings are the perfect fertilizer. Plus you have tons of worms doing their thing: eating, pooping, reproducing - baby worms are super cute!

We check our bin daily to make sure everything is doing alright, and every so offer I'll find something growing. First it was potatoes and more recently peppers. This got me wondering, couldn't I start plants in our worm bin? It's warm, humid and dark, sounds perfect for seed germimation.

So this morning I filled a container with some castings, added some tomato seeds and plopped it back into our bin. I guess we will see what happens. The container will make it easy to remove the seedlings from the bin, since they will need sunlight once they sprout.

No comments: