Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thoughts on being pregnant: 30 weeks

We found out in the beginning of September that we were going to have a baby.  September also marked our third year in Milwaukee and the start of a new job for me working at an elementary school. In October, my doctor confirmed the pregnancy and announced that I was already 12 weeks along. That was a surprise!  Of course we kept tradition and didn't let anyone know until 20 weeks.

It has been funny tracking my pregnancy with the school year. When I was hired, I was my normal self, but as the weeks went by, changes in my body started to happen.  I remember the day that it started to become uncomfortable to ride my bike to work...oh nooooooo!  However, it was now mid-November and the winter
winds were now upon us, so my 20 mile commute came to an end. By Thanksgiving break I had outgrown most of my school clothing and by Christmas break I was starting to show. Of course my students, and some of the staff, were still oblivious to the fact that my tummy was growing larger every week.

At thirty weeks I have now gained 15 pounds and my waistline is 36 inches.  My students are getting antsy for spring and their parents are starting to ask me, with excitement, if I am expecting.  And of course my students are still oblivious, but I can't blame them, they are only 6,7, and 8 years old. However, I'm sure that there are one or two who have noticed something. One of my third year students gives me a hug everyday, and over the last few weeks, I have noticed that her hugs have become more gentle.  She has also started resting her head on my tummy for a moment as though she is waiting to feel something, and I'm sure she has. Baby Ault is constantly on the move.

At some point my lead teacher and I will let the kiddos know that I am pregnant and that I will not be finishing the school year with them. I am due April 28th and school lets out June 10th.  It is a weird feeling knowing that I will not finish the school year.  It's sad that I will not be with the third graders when they move up to Upper Elementary, or get to wish the first and second graders a wonderful summer break, But I'll get to see them all in the fall.  And of course I plan on going back to school some Friday during "sharing" to introduce them to Baby Ault!

No comments: