Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day 11

Heron,MT - Libby,MT (51 miles)
Last night we slept at our first campground in bear country. There were warning signs everywhere, a bear box for food, and the camp hosts made a point to let everyone know that recently there had been bears in the camp. Great... And of course Jeremy does his best to get a rise out of my bear-fearing self. So I slept with ear plugs in so I wouldn't be jumping at every noise and told my bladder I wouldn't be getting up to pee in the night, no matter how full it got!
In the morning we were all fine and surprisingly got a decent night's sleep. Now it was off to Libby!
It was an extremely enjoyable ride. And I think it was partly due to the route and partly our pace. We took our time and made a number of stops. Our favorite being the Koocanusa waterfall and swinging bridge. The river was spectacular. Rushing water, vibrant shades of blue-green, and a rocky shoreline filled with fossils. The bridge was a little freaky, but completely worth it for the view!
We got into Libby early evening and wondered around until we found our warmshowers host, Stacy. Instantly we knew it was going to be a great night. Stacy and his family are wonderful, and the conversations had and the time we spent together in their house and over pizza is something that will be cherished.
Oh, I almost forgot! On our way to Libby we saw about a dozen bighorn sheep (does and kids) along the road!

2 comments:

Nathan Conroy said...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us here! We love the updates and are living vicariously through your travels.

--Mama T, Nate & Simon

Cassie said...

When I opened the post this morning I exclaimed, "They're already in Montana!" I realize this is the natural progression; it is so neat to be able to watch you guys keep on moving!

PS. Jamie, I would not have been able to sleep in bear country. Good on ya!